Skip to main content

Perks of Having Nothing To Do

Note: This is a 'straight out of my heart' blog like all my other ones, but I didn't feel like reading it before pressing the 'publish' button. Keeping it real, raw, and simple.

Past six months, I have spent most of my time at home because I was extremely sick. During the day, I was either sleeping or thinking whether to sleep less in order to balance my sleep at night. I didn't have enough energy to watch a 5 minute YouTube video till the end. You may wonder what sickness was this. For now, I would like to keep it personal. Because I'm not here to rant. I just want to talk about the fun part of being sick. People suggested I should watch series on Prime and Netflix. I pushed myself and completed a few seasons of Suits. I went ahead and watched 'This is Us' which was emotionally heavy for me. Ohh! And how can I forget 'Marvelous Mrs. Maisel'. But it was all mentally tiring. I read three books: Subtle Art of Not Giving a Fuck, Dollar Babu and Here there and everywhere (by Sudha Murthy). All this was meaningful stuff. What my brain demanded was absolute meaningless content which had no purpose of educating me, feeding me with soul food. Basically just random things(read nonsense). One day I came across a video on YouTube. It was about 10 shocking whale jumps. I watched it on repeat. It showed people standing at the edge of the boat/ship and a huge whale jumping out of nowhere leading to a lot of water splash, causing zero harm to anyone. This sparked an interest in watching more videos of aquatic and terrestrial beings. There was another video where sharks cross humans without harming them followed by reaction of humans. Then, a video of a zoo covered in glass and kids reacting to animals and animals reacting to kids. And this went on.

Another pass time was sitting in the window of my living room after 6 pm with my tea and watching kids play, fight, break things, jump and make noise. I saw parents teaching their kids to cycle, dogs running behind each other and the kids, people standing outside the society office to complain about the dogs running behind the kids. Everyday it was a different story with complete entertainment and it required no internet. I cannot not mention watching birds fly in a flock after a loud noise or flying from one building to another for no reason.

The most important perk was spending time with my parents. Otherwise, I was always either going for work or coming back from work and everything in between. Never really got enough time to spend with them since college. My mom who is a true 'Internet Explorer', introduced me to YouTubers around the world that I had never seen before. Their content ranged from travel to baby vlogs. Both of us would lie on bed in the afternoon after lunch, watch these videos and have a good time. After returning from office, Dad narrated his whatsapp jokes and laughed a lot by himself. Seeing him laugh so much, in the way he laughs made me laugh more than the joke itself.

These and many other moments brought some real joy to life. It made life meaningful with the most pointless stuff which I didn't appreciate otherwise. These moments are special to me for life. Instead of being sick of feeling sick, we can suck life out of the hopeless routine and create happy moments. I'm not giving you a false hope that it's fun being sick. This is coming from a person who fell ill twice in a year, so believe me when I'm saying all this. After reading this, I don't want you to desire for a sick staycation at home, but be thankful for the little moments life gives you. This experience brought an overthinking woman to calm down about life, people, and herself. It taught her to look at life beyond her career, her goals and to live in the moment and live it to the fullest. In these moments, I did feel like I was wasting time. But now when I look back, it has become a life changing experience for me. This was not a waste of time. It was one hell of a time I will never forget.

Hope this brought positivity and hope at least for the moment. And if you're sick and reading this, then send blessings and positive vibes. Thanks for taking time to read this.


Stay healthy. Stay positive.

Lots of love.

Comments

  1. Beautiful :) please write more often saie! 🤗

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you didn't read it before you pressed 'publish'.. Because this, right here, is pure human spirit and it needs no edits

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so proud of you girl♥️

    ReplyDelete
  4. Saie a Beautiful soul. I have known you since your school days and over the years. But there is always so much more of you that I get to know every time we meet . Very proud of you my girl. Stay blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad you started writing again. I hope you're doing well now and I'm sorry I wasn't there for you. Keep writing and I'm glad you're seeing the bright side of this. From one sick kid to another. Sending lots of love and positive energy from a long way <3

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Offline luxury

     It’s quite difficult to keep the thought traffic in control. With a constantly buzzing cell phone in hand, I often forget what I was thinking about and keep scrolling up and down my screen. To get a way out of the buzz, I simply turn off my internet while I am outdoors.          Believe me, my mind suddenly gets a breathing space. Out of all the time spent outside, I make sure at least 30% is given to myself where I can sit somewhere or walk somewhere alone. When I share this with anybody, they say, “ Why alone? You could have called me. I would come with you.” Then I say in my mind, “ That’s what I don’t want. I don’t want you to come and disturb me”. This sounds selfish, but I really can’t help it because I’ve grown into it. I am a single child. I’ve always played alone at home with my dolls.  My childhood was not surrounded by too many friends or cousins unlike the present. I love to be alone and being alone has never made me feel lonely.      The reason behind being

In company of a Rose..

Image Courtesy: www.bhg.com A symbol of love and a common element across Valentine’s Day wallpapers; A rose may have given life to many love stories in this way. But this is not in any mushy context. I’m specifically talking about a rose I received when I was least expecting it. I looked closely at it, brushed those soft petals over my palm, and thought to myself: If I had a chance, I would shrink myself into a miniature version of me and take a nap inside it. It was a hot summer afternoon. It had only been 8 days since my internship started. I was rushing to office. Heat and traffic were in good coordination. It looked like they had planned this in advance. It was starting to look like a bad day, and a bad hair day in addition. I reached office. I signed the register and wrote my not-so-ideal entry time with some shame on my face. As I was about to enter the office, the clerk at the reception handed over a rose and a chocolate saying, “Happy Women’s Day”. I replied with a