Skip to main content

5 Reasons why I love/hate Riskhaws/Rikshawalas


While Rikshawalas are most hated for their habit of rejecting customers, there are also a few reasons to love them. At least I have some reasons. Some, I repeat. In this blog, I am listing down 5 reasons why I love or hate Rikshaws and Riksha drivers. Last one is super special to me. No, don't be lazy. Read everything, okay?
Super Power to Attract Rikshas
Everytime Mom and I head out to go somewhere in the city, all of a sudden, there's a ricksha either standing right in front of the gate, or coming towards us from a distance. I don't know how to thank the universe for this coincidence. Okay, but this happens only when I am with Mom. Not when Mom and I go out individually. This is strange. For the very same strange reason, Mom has given me the title of 'Riksha Magnet' and I take pride in it. It's been years since I've been working part-time under this unofficial Job title and it is yet to be listed in my C.V.

Monsoon Dates in a Riksha
I remember in 2014 or even before maybe, I was returning home from a Birthday Gift Shopping Spree with my best friend. We are so passionate about the art of gifting and nailing it that we often forget to see what time is it, or how far are we from our homes. Sometime in the late evening that day, we got out of our bubble and luckily got an auto. In no time, our riksha was standing in knee-length water, unable to move ahead. Plus, we had traffic for our company. Ignoring the curfew stress in our minds, we sat there to chitchat, eating emergency snacks from our bags which we were luckily carrying. We had such a good excuse to delay the welcoming speech from our parents. You know what I mean. As the traffic started moving, it felt like someone was taking away that precious time from us. Anyway, moving on to my next reason, which is a bit embarrassing. Don't judge.

*Bathroom Singers Prohibited*
This is during my school days. It was my birthday. Unlike other days, on this particular day, for some reason, I was traveling to school alone in a riksha. Everyday I had two friends with me. Since I had nobody to talk to, I was looking outside and humming a song. My school friends always appreciated my singing. I don't know how much of it was true. That day, I got an instant feedback. I don't know when and how my humming turned into loud singing which obviously bothered the riksha driver. With no hesitation, he told me to stop singing immediately. Yes, and that marked the end of my singing career before it even started.

Mini-tragedy Alert
This one is a memory that has carved itself on me in form of a wound which denies to disappear. It's been six years now. I remember, that day very clearly. I was going to the station in a share auto around 6.45 a.m. There were four passengers in the vehicle, two to my left and one beside the driver on his left. It was evident that this three wheeler can lose balance anytime, but like any other day, having faith in the driver and our smooth roads, I decided not to get down from the riksha. We were five minutes away from our destination when this riksha's right wheel got stuck in a pothole and it fell upside down, almost taking one roll towards the right. Yours truly was sitting at the extreme right. Calf of my right leg got stuck under it. I was now carrying the weight of the whole riksha, as in my leg was. Many people gathered to lift the vehicle and helped us get out of it. The riksha was now standing still. People were telling me to get out of it and I was sitting there shocked. In a situation like this, my main concern should have been taking care of my leg and myself. But all I was looking for was my bag and new shoes which were lying scattered on the road. I put my leg in the shoe,a white ballerina, to notice blood flowing over the white faux leather. Good part was everyone else was fine. The driver's face was painted with guilt clearly. He helped me catch another riksha from another side of the road. I reached home with the news of my first accident and footprints of blood all the way till my bedroom.

If you're feeling eww about this, the next story will make you do 'aww'.
Here's my favorite one:
Chocolate worth a million bucks
It was my 20th birthday. The day was already brimming with surprises. A cute house party was arranged at my friend's place with almost 1/4th of my classmates or more ready to scream "SURPRISE". After all this gala time, and a few more mandatory birthday celebrations, small and big, I was returning home with one of my best friend. In the riksha, we were talking all about how the day went with a lot of oohs and aahs. I dropped her home on the way as usual and was heading home now with a lot of stories to tell Mom and Dad. I reached near my building and was paying the driver when he said, "Ma'am, Happy Birthday!", handing me a chocolate he had in his pocket. This was not it. This was followed by, "Sorry, I just had this much to give you". I smiled and thanked him and said, "Kya aap bhi". I had no words for this heartwarming gesture. I know Rikshwalas overhear all our drama, but didn't know something so kind could come out of it. My face was wet with happy tears until I reached home. This was undoubtedly the best moment of the day. Rare, Unexpected, and Beautiful.
These were few of my many memories in a Riksha. I must say you have a lot of patience to read through this entire blog. Thank you. Comment below if you have such stories to share. Also, tell me which one of the above did you like the most.
Keep smiling :)


Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a delightful and touching writeup ! 
    It reminded me of a funny incident that happened with me last week. I was waving for a rickshaw when one showed up. I told him where I wanted to go. Since the rickshaws here don't have meters (actually they do but they choose to not use them), the fare is usually set at 30 rupees for the distance I wanted to cover. Nevertheless, you can never underestimate the arrogance of an auto driver , so I asked him "kitna loge" . He very confidently said "nabbe". I was so amused that I just stood there with a blank face for a few seconds, and then burst out laughing. I looked at my husband (who's new to the area), and he couldn't keep a straight face either. We both looked at the rickshawala, with our faces saying "good one, dude". The guy was so taken aback that he gave a very nervous chuckle that turned into a sad smile and then he drove off as fast as he could !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Truly amazing! Good one Sai ☕

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Offline luxury

     It’s quite difficult to keep the thought traffic in control. With a constantly buzzing cell phone in hand, I often forget what I was thinking about and keep scrolling up and down my screen. To get a way out of the buzz, I simply turn off my internet while I am outdoors.          Believe me, my mind suddenly gets a breathing space. Out of all the time spent outside, I make sure at least 30% is given to myself where I can sit somewhere or walk somewhere alone. When I share this with anybody, they say, “ Why alone? You could have called me. I would come with you.” Then I say in my mind, “ That’s what I don’t want. I don’t want you to come and disturb me”. This sounds selfish, but I really can’t help it because I’ve grown into it. I am a single child. I’ve always played alone at home with my dolls.  My childhood was not surrounded by too many friends or cousins unlike the present. I love to be alone and being alone has never made me feel lonely.      The reason behind being

Perks of Having Nothing To Do

Note: This is a 'straight out of my heart' blog like all my other ones, but I didn't feel like reading it before pressing the 'publish' button. Keeping it real, raw, and simple. Past six months, I have spent most of my time at home because I was extremely sick. During the day, I was either sleeping or thinking whether to sleep less in order to balance my sleep at night. I didn't have enough energy to watch a 5 minute YouTube video till the end. You may wonder what sickness was this. For now, I would like to keep it personal. Because I'm not here to rant. I just want to talk about the fun part of being sick. People suggested I should watch series on Prime and Netflix. I pushed myself and completed a few seasons of Suits. I went ahead and watched 'This is Us' which was emotionally heavy for me. Ohh! And how can I forget 'Marvelous Mrs. Maisel'. But it was all mentally tiring. I read three books: Subtle Art of Not Giving a Fuck, Dolla

In company of a Rose..

Image Courtesy: www.bhg.com A symbol of love and a common element across Valentine’s Day wallpapers; A rose may have given life to many love stories in this way. But this is not in any mushy context. I’m specifically talking about a rose I received when I was least expecting it. I looked closely at it, brushed those soft petals over my palm, and thought to myself: If I had a chance, I would shrink myself into a miniature version of me and take a nap inside it. It was a hot summer afternoon. It had only been 8 days since my internship started. I was rushing to office. Heat and traffic were in good coordination. It looked like they had planned this in advance. It was starting to look like a bad day, and a bad hair day in addition. I reached office. I signed the register and wrote my not-so-ideal entry time with some shame on my face. As I was about to enter the office, the clerk at the reception handed over a rose and a chocolate saying, “Happy Women’s Day”. I replied with a