Skip to main content

Here We GROW! | Learnings from the book: Free Your Mind





Exactly one year ago, I published a blog: Perks of having nothing to do, where I wrote about the positive side of having absolutely nothing to do. It's a coincidence that this year, we are all having those perks by our side.This year, all of us have switched to the super basic mode of living life. It's strange how difficult it is for most of us to live a simple life. We're not used to this. At the back of our mind, most of us are upset about the situation. Even I am. After a lot of thinking, overthinking, crying, we're all finding our own calm and dealing with this one day at a time. As you must already know, Feeling low in this situation is very natural. Finding the way out of these troublesome thoughts can be a task.

For those of us who are struggling to pave our own career path, any kind of hindrance can seem like the sky is falling or the universe is not on our side. Especially when we have so much time in our hands, control over our negative thoughts can go out of hand. This blog is for those who are worried about the effects of this pandemic on their career.

Today morning, I was reading a book named 'Free Your Mind' on Kindle. It was in my library for a very long time. I have read different chapters from it at different times. There are some lines from this book which gave me a quick dose of encouragement. After reading a few pages, I was feeling better than how I felt yesterday. I have always believed that no two days are similar. Today looks nice and I am grateful.

Underestimating ourselves comes very easy to us. We tend to not celebrate our little achievements. We don't pay heed to our slow growth, forgetting that slow growth also means growth. So I did a little thing which I'm going to share with all of you. It's March end and I listed down the little things since January 2020 that helped me grow. Not just the ones I can add in my CV, but also the things that contribute to my knowledge bank up there. Yes, I named it just now while writing it. Knowledge bank, isn't it cool? I completed making a list of things from January to March 2020. After this, I went to 2019 and so on. In sometime, I reached 2010. I realised how far I am from 2010 at this moment and from the problems I dealt with in that year.

I saw growth and that cheered me up. You know what's the most beautiful thing I learned today? The years which were the most difficult to deal with have more number of little and big achievements than the ones which were comfortable and happy going. Basically, more problems, more growth. This is the upside of our lowest lows.

Remember when we were kids, we had tiny cars. To run them, we had to pull them back for them to take speed. This is exactly that. If you sit and make a self assessment report of the last ten years, you'll know how far you've come. Give yourself a clap. Have faith and believe how far you'll go in the coming ten years.

Didn't we always have problems? They were not titled as 'pandemic', so we grew out of them differently.

At present, this may look like a pause, but just know we are growing through this. Our growth hasn't taken a pause. The book about which I mentioned earlier taught me to look at life in a 'timeline' view instead of a 'deadline' view. It's we who have self imposed deadlines which we can conveniently extend now.

Second thing I learned from the book is: Time is a tool to measure the Earth's rotation, not our goals or our dreams. Hence, we can learn to skip the 'before 30', 'before 40' prison we've been putting ourselves into.

Cheer up. Let's make our 'So Much To Do' list. One day at a time and we'll be out of this. Your achievement list of 2020 will have: SURVIVED A PANDEMIC/LOCKDOWN/QUARANTINE. Here you GROW!


Reporting LIVE From Quarantine Day_____ (Sorry I lost count),
Yours Truly.








Comments

  1. So much good. Why don't you resume this now with a domain name. You really write nice.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Offline luxury

     It’s quite difficult to keep the thought traffic in control. With a constantly buzzing cell phone in hand, I often forget what I was thinking about and keep scrolling up and down my screen. To get a way out of the buzz, I simply turn off my internet while I am outdoors.          Believe me, my mind suddenly gets a breathing space. Out of all the time spent outside, I make sure at least 30% is given to myself where I can sit somewhere or walk somewhere alone. When I share this with anybody, they say, “ Why alone? You could have called me. I would come with you.” Then I say in my mind, “ That’s what I don’t want. I don’t want you to come and disturb me”. This sounds selfish, but I really can’t help it because I’ve grown into it. I am a single child. I’ve always played alone at home with my dolls.  My childhood was not surrounded by too many friends or cousins unlike the present. I love to be alone and being alone has never made me feel lonely.      The reason behind being

In company of a Rose..

Image Courtesy: www.bhg.com A symbol of love and a common element across Valentine’s Day wallpapers; A rose may have given life to many love stories in this way. But this is not in any mushy context. I’m specifically talking about a rose I received when I was least expecting it. I looked closely at it, brushed those soft petals over my palm, and thought to myself: If I had a chance, I would shrink myself into a miniature version of me and take a nap inside it. It was a hot summer afternoon. It had only been 8 days since my internship started. I was rushing to office. Heat and traffic were in good coordination. It looked like they had planned this in advance. It was starting to look like a bad day, and a bad hair day in addition. I reached office. I signed the register and wrote my not-so-ideal entry time with some shame on my face. As I was about to enter the office, the clerk at the reception handed over a rose and a chocolate saying, “Happy Women’s Day”. I replied with a

Perks of Having Nothing To Do

Note: This is a 'straight out of my heart' blog like all my other ones, but I didn't feel like reading it before pressing the 'publish' button. Keeping it real, raw, and simple. Past six months, I have spent most of my time at home because I was extremely sick. During the day, I was either sleeping or thinking whether to sleep less in order to balance my sleep at night. I didn't have enough energy to watch a 5 minute YouTube video till the end. You may wonder what sickness was this. For now, I would like to keep it personal. Because I'm not here to rant. I just want to talk about the fun part of being sick. People suggested I should watch series on Prime and Netflix. I pushed myself and completed a few seasons of Suits. I went ahead and watched 'This is Us' which was emotionally heavy for me. Ohh! And how can I forget 'Marvelous Mrs. Maisel'. But it was all mentally tiring. I read three books: Subtle Art of Not Giving a Fuck, Dolla